APPLIED TELEMETRICS INC. (dba ‘PayBySky’)
Effective Date: June, 2016
1. The PayBySky Technology
PayBySky offers a cloud-based technology platform that performs location determination services with a focus on, but not limited to, payment services. The main source of information is from PayBySky’s in-vehicle device called a “Skymeter”. The PayBySky location technology determines the location of the Skymeter by interfacing with Global Navigation Satellite Systems (such as GPS) and by scanning for nearby Wi-Fi access points and cell towers visible to the Skymeter. In addition to this we also monitor and include data from the engine control unit of the vehicle and accelerometers and gyros. This information is then processed on the Skymeter and on PayBySky’s servers to determine the location of the Skymeter. The location and movement of the vehicle are used to determine whether or not a financial transaction should be completed and whom it should be directed. Other services that are offered or may, in the future, be offered as part of the PayBySky service, such as real time asset tracking, trip log and invoicing, use various elements of the information that is collected.
2. The Information the PayBySky Skymeter Collects
When PayBySky’s Skymeter collects and transmits data to its servers, we may collect location information that is provided or generated, including for example, location results, GPS coordinates, the MAC address of wireless routers (an alphanumeric code that is unique to that hardware device), the Received Signal Strength Indicator (a measurement of the strength of the access point’s signal at the time it is received by the mobile device), the cell ID of nearby cell towers, information from the vehicle and on-board gyros and accelerometers. This location data is collected in a form that does not personally identify a user, but does identify a vehicle.
3. How PayBySky Uses Information
The PayBySky technology for location based services collects information that will be used:
• To provide location based service(s), such as autonomous financial transactions, real time asset tracking, event history, log book and invoicing transactions.
• To improve the quality, accuracy and precision of PayBySky’s capabilities and develop and/or enhance PayBySky products and services.
PayBySky may use the information collected:
• To sell or provide anonymized and aggregated information to third parties, including transportation authorities and private data analysis firms;
• To aggregate data about device usage at a particular location or particular time;
• To de-identify or anonymize information for our business purposes;
• To carry out the transaction(s) requested or authorized by users.
4. How PayBySky May Share Information
In addition to the uses described above, PayBySky may share the information that we collect:
• With agents, vendors or service providers that help PayBySky to process the data or operate our business;
• As required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena, or similar legal process;
• When PayBySky believes in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our legal and contractual rights or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a government request;
• If PayBySky is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of our assets, in which case users will be notified via a prominent notice on our Web site of any change in ownership or uses of the information; or
• Where you have granted us permission.
5. Opt Out Choices
Location Information: For users, who do not want any location data to be stored, the application and the Skymeter provide controls for deleting all location information after each drive and, as applicable, the resulting financial transaction is completed. If this choice is made by the user, it will render all ability to audit any transaction impossible. The user therefore must accept full responsibility for any fees which are determined by the PayBySky service to be payable on the completion of a drive without recourse.
6. Data Retention and Data Security
Data on Skymeter: The Skymeter may store an encrypted local cache of information of all inputs until it has completed transmission to and confirmed data has been received by our servers. This cache of information will be deleted from the Skymeter the next time it connects to the PayBySky servers.
Data Retention: For all Skymeter identified data, unless the user opts out under the terms in Section 5 above, PayBySky may retain such data for up to six months. Beyond six months, any information that has been aggregated and anonymized for statistical purposes may be stored indefinitely. Other anonymous location data that is not associated with any unique identifier, device ID or any other personally identifiable information may be stored indefinitely and used for purposes of improving and maintaining our location service.
Data Security: PayBySky is committed to protecting the security of information that is collected by its technology. We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the information gathered by our system(s), both during transmission and when stored on our systems. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee the absolute security of all information.
7. Cross Border Transfers
8. Changes and Updates to this Privacy Notice
10. Contact Information
If you have any questions or concerns regarding privacy using the PayBySky technology, please send a detailed message to: privacy@PayBySky.com.